We use exclusively organic + recycled materials with less impact on the earth. All inks and dyes are GOTS-certified, water-based and non-toxic.
Our bags are all made with natural, organic, and recycled materials, and meet or exceed the highest international standards for safety:
- We use only 100% organic cotton, certified by the GOTS.
- Cotton is natural, renewable and biodegradable, and eliminates the use of harmful pesticides and fertilizers.
- Our water-resistant lining is made with GRS-certified (Global Recycle Standard) rPET, and meets the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®.
- Recycled polyester (rPET) keeps plastics out of landfill and the oceans and requires 59% less energy to manufacture than virgin polyester, and lessens our dependence on petroleum as a source of raw materials.
- All fabric dyes and inks are non-toxic, GOTS-certified, and strictly regulated.
- We adhere to a strict list of restricted toxins & endocrine disruptors.
- Our products are free of BPA, PVC, PFAS, PFCs, phthalates, heavy metals, AZO, fire retardants, formaldehyde, and more.
- Our products are regularly tested by independent third parties (TÜV, SGS and BV) for toxicity, food-safety & quality to ensure they exceed the highest safety standards in Canada, the US and the EU.
All Fluf bags are ethically handmade.
- All manufacturing facilities (weaving, dying, printing, stitching) are GOTS certified and audited annually for adherence to rigorous social criteria.
- We guarantee a living wage, fair working hours, and safe working conditions for all employees.
- Working with non-toxic, organic materials also means that our workers are exposed to a drastically lower chemical burden than they would be working with other materials. This protects farmers, factory workers at all stages - and ultimately consumers of Fluf products - from exposure to harmful toxins and substances.
- No fewer than 12 pairs of hands work on each and every Fluf bag, and our production schedule allows us to create consistent and steady employment for our team of manufacturers.
As of January 2021, there is no new plastic at any level of our supply chain:
- Products: our tested food-safe, water-resistant lining is made with 100% recycled water bottles/polyester (recycled content certified by the GRS– the Global Recycle Standard)
- Packaging: our products are individually bagged in 100% compostable packaging made from corn or other food starch
- Shipping: we ship our products in zero-waste, 100% recycled mailers - even better, the mailers can be used twice before they are recycled again
- Here's more:
The cotton used in all Fluf products is organically grown in India, and is fully-traceable, right back to the field.
- Our fabrics are dyed and/or printed with low-impact, water-based, non toxic dyes.
- At every stage throughout our supply chain, our GOTS-certified facilities adhere to the strictest standards for environmental protection, including restrictions on toxic chemicals, and limiting use of energy and water.
- All cutting scraps are recycled, shredded and used to make new fabric.
Finally, we are pleased to have met our company goal of achieving climate neutrality in 2022. This means that we are reducing our greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible throughout our supply chain, as well as compensating for any remaining emissions.
We strive to create bags that ‘do good’ by making a positive impact – both in our day-to-day business practices, and also by supporting organizations that are fighting for a more equal, more sustainable world.
We support organic farming and the development and creation of non-toxic, sustainable, recycled materials. We manufacture only in facilities that are independently accredited and provide a safe working environment and living wage. We are committed to providing our customers with products that are healthy and safe for themsleves and their children.
We also support several organizations whose daily mandate is to improve the lives of those who need it most:
- Because I am a Girl: which aims to empower girls by keeping them in school, out of unsafe marriages, and in control of their own futures. We have had a long-standing commitment to Plan International’s “Because I am a Girl” / Girl Power campaign, which started many years ago with our ‘Girl Power’ lunch bag- specifically created to support BIAAG.
- Toronto Council Fire Native Cultural Center: cultural agency that involves and serves the Indigenous community of Toronto. 100% of the proceeds of our Wolf / Eagle lunch bag, designed by Philip Cote of Moose Deer Point First Nation, are donated to the Council Fire.
- Every Mother Counts: dedicated to making pregnancy and birth safe for every mother, everywhere.
- Toronto's Foundation for Student Success: making sure that no child begins the school day hungry.
- Canadian Feed the Children: which supports families for greater food security.
- Kids up Front: enriching the lives of kids by giving unforgettable experiences.
The gold standard of climate action. This means we are committed to measuring, reducing and compensating for all greenhouse gas emissions - from making our products, to delivering them to your doorstep.
We’re a constant
work in progress.
Have ideas on how we can be more earth-friendly? We’re all ears.